Monday, May 12, 2008

Don't just do it.

No, I don't have anything against Nike. I do have something against the mindset that their marketing slogan can produce in a society such as ours though.

Last week God spoke to me out of Colossians 3, verse 24 where it says that we are working for the Lord and everything we do we should do with the understanding that we are doing it for Him. This week I read in 1 Timothy that this "faith" that we are living is something that has to be fought for. (1 Tim 6:12)

These are not terms and ideals that are synonymous with "just doing it". I am afraid I am part of a generation that has learned better than any before how to "get by" in life by "just doing the minimum" and when any opposition, attitude or just plain "not feeling like it" comes along, we quit. Or worse, we don't quit and we do it in a fashion that we know is not truly good enough.

I didn't intend for this post to simply be a rant against a mindset that bothers me...but it appears as though that is what it is becoming.

The real problem is that Jesus called us to love people and to love God...above everything else. And if we accept the attitude of "just" doing it, then we will not be fulfilling what Jesus commanded us to do when he said we should "love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength." If we're not careful we'll end up just loving others and God with our "leftovers, free time, our when I feel like it."

It definitely isn't an original thought, but have you considered the fact that if you truly want to "well done, my good and faithful servant" when your time is done here you might actually have to fight for it...you might actually have to not

just
do
it.

Don't just do it.

Do
it
well.

peace,
glo

No comments: