Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Robbed!?!?

So I walked in my house last night after work to find our back door kicked in...we'd been robbed! Thank God no-one was home and our dog was safe and sound. They got away with all of our electronics and Jen's jewelry.

It's a strange feeling getting robbed...the word that best fits is "violated". These people came into my house and were in every room, even my daughters...they took over $5k worth of stuff. But after the initial rush of adrenaline and anger I really didn't feel anything but pity. I started to think about what really happened.

All they got was stuff. Just stuff. The only thing that had any value to us that they stole was the video-camera and that's only because it had video's of our daughter on it that we hadn't backed up yet. Stuff is just that...stuff. It's not eternal and it can easily be replaced.

A good pastor once said that the human race is horrible at being human. We truly are. I'm far from perfect, but I had an overwhelming sense of how lost someone must be to go to these extremes to acquire "stuff" or to get money for the stuff they steal. Life isn't about stuff.

We were robbed of stuff, but my family is fine. We all went to sleep at night and woke up healthy this morning. We have more than we could ever ask for. You can't steal happiness. You can't steal love. You can't steal joy. You can't steal real friends. These are some of the things that are of real value in this world.

It's good to remember that from time to time.

peace,
glo

Heck, we got home insurance to cover all the "stuff" anyway...right? ;)

No comments: