Monday, June 09, 2008

lost thoughts

It happens to me more often than I'd like to admit. I'll be reading a book and will have read three pages but not comprehended any of it because my mind went somewhere else. Or I'll have the radio on in the car and not notice that a horrible song has been playing for the last 2 minutes because my mind was somewhere else.

Well, this happened on Thursday of last week and it actually ended up being a cool thing. I was driving home from work with the radio on when I realized the song that was playing was not the style of music that I would typically be listening to, but I realized it right as the chorus of the song was starting and when I listened to the lyrics I couldn't help but hear the truth. The name of the song is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. The chorus lyrics are...

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

The thing that caught my attention was the 4th, 5th and 6th lines. Feel the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in.

We need to learn again how to genuinely "experience" life. We spend so much time hoping and waiting for the elusive "there" that we never actually get to enjoy the life we are living today.

Enjoy your life.

If you don't learn how to enjoy it today, no matter what your circumstances are, you will never enjoy your life. Genuine joy and satisfaction do NOT come from exterior circumstances and situations, they are attitudes of the heart. And you are the only person that can control them for yourself.

Enjoy
the
now.

peace,
glo

No comments: