Monday, February 05, 2007

More than a good idea...

I was recently "lurking" around some online religion forums and came accross a thread about some small groups that a church was going to start. They seem like they are going in the right direction with the motivation and topic of the small groups, but I read a post on this thread that broke my heart...

Well I think the unvarnished groups is a good idea on paper....but won't be participating.

This breaks my heart because it's an attitude that is far too prevalant in today's Christians. And it is one of the most deadly attitudes we can have. I use such strong language because I've seen this as the main attitude of more Christians than I want to admit. Christianity is NOT about debating ideas and philosophies (even though it is the basis for all logical philosophy that is not self-refuting...but that's a whole 'nother post). It's about life, it's about living the lives that God created us to live. It isn't about sitting back and reading all the "pretty scriptures" and saying that's a great idea, or moral position and then not participating in it by refusing to live it out in our lives!!!

I've been listening to Switchfoot's new CD "Oh, Gravity!" (which is very good) and one of the songs has a line that says something to the effect of "what if we saw love as a verb again". I've started a four week series on the "verbs" of Christianity, first and foremost of which is love.

When I read that post I immediately got challenged to examine my life and make sure I'm not just sitting back and watching in any areas of my walk with Jesus. I would strongly encourage you to do the same...you'll never regret it.

Christianity is so much more than "a good idea on paper."

peace,
glo

No comments: