Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What are we eating?

I recently heard that it is recommended for average adults to watch 2 hours of television daily. That's a long meal.

We digest what we take in our eyes and ears, not just what we eat with our mouth. That's why the angel told John (Rev 10:9) to "eat the book". I've recently started to seriously question how I am spending my time in the Word. I read it regularly and enjoy it, but my attitude seems to be more toward the McDonald's experience, as opposed to the Melting Pot extravaganza.

I know McDonald's is cheap and fast and that's why I eat it, because it's convienient. I don't go to the golden arches to get my health fix for the day. The problem is when we let that type of "ingesting" get into our time we spend with the Word. I don't think we were intended to consume the word of God in a manner that would more closely replicate our fast food eating habits. It should probably look more like one of those meals that I take my wife to once a year that costs a bunch of money and lasts 2 1/2 hours. (she really likes those)

I hate paying that much for food, but you better believe that when we do have those fancy dinners that I enjoy every morsel because I associate value with it. I don't associate much value with McDonald's food...the way I eat it would be closer to inhaling it.

I think when God tells us that He wants us to "eat the Word" the association we make should resemble that of a well prepared gourmet meal...

It was prepared by the guy who invented food in the first place.

peace,
glo

1 comment:

Libzsonshine said...

I just had my first Melting Pot experience a couple weekends ago with 12 others during a couples retreat. It was a long, yet enjoyable 3 hour meal. Who knew I'd be cooking my own meat??!?

The chocolate...the BEST part!