Monday, October 29, 2007

Homeless hot tubs?

While I was driving on Saturday I came to a stop at a large intersection in a wealthy part of Kansas City. My attention was immediately focused on the two homeless women standing on the corner. One of them was giving water to their pet dog, the other woman was standing with a sign that read "broke, hungry, need food or supplies, anything helps." I'm sure these women wouldn't have stuck in my head if it wasn't for the sign that I saw sticking up out of the ground behind them on the same corner. It read "hot tubs - half off!" and had a phone number to call on the bottom. It struck me as odd that we live in a society in which someone driving by these women could have two contradictory thoughts when passing by a scenario like the one I just described. I'm quite sure it's possible someone's reaction to this situation could have been...

"I don't have any extra money to give this woman, why doesn't she get a job!" and then in the very next instant have the thought...
"Oh, hot tubs for half price...we need one of those!"

I'm not sure if anyone actually had those thoughts in that order, but none-the-less we live in a society in which someone can be begging for food for existence and someone else can be advertising hot tubs for half-price on the same corner and most people wouldn't think twice about it.

Think
about
it.

peace,
greg

1 comment:

The Hosh said...

oh I will think about it baby. Same concept as walking out of starbucks with a latte and tossing a bum a quarter.